Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Corpse flower (Titan arum) about to bloom

The Titan arum is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, flowers in the world. It only blooms every several years or so in the wilds of Indonesia, if I'm not mistaken, and very rarely in captivity. At the University of Wisconsin at Madison, it has bloomed at least three times in the last several years. About the third time (in 2005, I think), I finally got my lazy self around to seeing it, and I took these pictures. When it blooms, it supposedly gives off a horrific stench, like a cross between rotting flesh and burnt sugar, or, so I am told. When I finally got arount to seeing it, it didn't smell like anything. This picture was were taken when it was placed in Birge Hall, on the UW campus, before it bloomed. Later, it was moved to warmer climes in a greenhouse, behind Birge hall, on the campus of the UW in Madison, Wisconsin where it finally bloomed fully. So there.

No comments: